Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I usually don't write my resolutions down (nor do I post them on the Internet for all to see), but this is a new year, so time for some new ways of thinking. I've posted my list on the bathroom mirror to remind myself every time I look in it of the resolutions I've made for the new year. 
  • Drink more water. 
  • Floss.
  • Laugh more.
  • Be present.
  • Be more diligent about my diet.
  • Hike a park a week.
  • Practice yoga once a week.
I really want to focus on my health and wellness as a whole - mind, body, and spirit.  Most of my resolutions are self-explanatory (drink more water, floss, hike a park a week, practice yoga once a week), while others need a bit more explanation. 

Laugh more - I find myself being so serious sometimes in situations where I just need to laugh. And laughing just feels so much better than being angry, hurt, or sad. This isn't to say I won't acknowledge those feelings, because I think it's important to acknowledge them and act on them when appropriate. I guess I could also call this a resolution to "Have more fun" and do things that I enjoy, make me happy and make me smile.

Be present - How many times do I catch myself checking my phone during a conversation or while I'm driving? Or while I'm doing something (whatever it is) and I'm thinking about something else completely unrelated? Or I'm dwelling on something from the past that's either resolved (as best as it can be) or there's nothing I can do about it? Or worrying about what is going to happen in the future, when it hasn't even happened yet? I really want to work on being in the present moment - and it's not even necessarily about enjoying what I am doing at the present moment, because honestly, waiting to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist's office is not what I consider "enjoyable". For me, it's just about being there, in the moment of whatever it is that I am doing. 

Be more diligent about my diet - I suffer from Ulcerative Proctitis. I was diagnosed in 7th grade and suffering with this for about 16+ years, I have just dealt with a certain amount of pain and discomfort. It hasn't been until the last 2 years that I have come to the realization that my diet greatly affects me. I always knew to a point that my diet needed to be tweaked in order to live with this disease. But honestly, all I remember my doctors ever telling me to do in regards to diet was to eat more fiber. Most gastroenterologists don't consider diet as a part of treatment - I remember telling my doctor in Arizona two years ago that I completely cut out dairy. I haven't felt that good in as long as I could remember - he looked at me like, "Oh, that never would have occurred to me to change your diet." Being an advocate for yourself in the medical world is a whole other story that I won't go into, but you get the point. 

Anyways, over the last 2 years I've really worked on finding out what foods aggravate me and what foods help me. I kept a food journal to help me identify foods. It took a lot of experimenting and research. Like I said earlier, I completely cut out dairy. Best. Decision. Ever. I still eat it from time to time, depending on what kind of cheese it is. I can't eat bagels, red meat or pizza without paying for it dearly. I also can't drink beer (that one hurts - I love me some good microbrews!). 

So I have resolved to not eat or drink the things that I know cause me pain and discomfort because in the end, it's just not worth it. I love to eat, so a lot of times I just throw caution to the wind and eat that slice of pizza if it's there or drink that icey cold Magic Hat because I can't resist it - but then, I pay for it. I can't say I won't slip up from time to time, but I'm only human. 

What are some of your New Year's Resolutions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment