Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One year ago...

My how things have changed in a year. I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately over the last couple of years. Many amazing things have happened in what seems like such a short time - engagement, completion of graduate school, bought a house, moved to Colorado, marriage, and what I can honestly say has been the biggest life changer out of that list: a child! 

A year ago today, I found out I was pregnant with whom I now know to be the sweetest, cutest firecracker of a little boy. I say "firecracker" because already, this boy has his mama's temper. He's passionate and strong-willed. He's also a Scorpio. I am an Aries. Two fire signs. I can already foresee the teenage years being an interesting time in the Leggett household. Good thing we have Joe to balance things out.

Here's our story from one year ago:

Valentine's Day was approaching. Joe and I decided not to get each other gifts. I did get him a sweet card and some Costa Rican chocolate (two of his favorite things), but nothing big. Joe left for work while I began my day before I had to go to work in the afternoon. My period was late (I was at about 32 days), but really, it was always all over the place, so I didn't think too much of it. In the few months prior to this, I had also been this late, taken pregnancy tests and they came out negative. So I thought, "Well, I just take one for the heck of it. I totally won't be pregnant." I wait the five minutes, again, thinking nothing of it, and take a peek when the time is up. Two pink lines = pregnant. My first thought was, "No, this can't be right. I'm not pregnant. No f-ing way." I proceed to pace around my house like a madwoman for about an hour, every so often going back in the bathroom to look at the test, to see if it was still the same. I mean, what do I do from here? I can't call Joe and tell him over the phone while he's at work. But I have to do something, right? Go to the doctor, make sure it's real? So, I went to a clinic at our local Walgreen's - the doctor chuckles, "Sweetie, the pregnancy test I do here is the same one you did at home. If that told you that you were pregnant, than you are. Get some prenatal vitamins and start taking good care of yourself. Congratulations!" Holy shit. It was real. 

How was I going to tell Joe?! I didn't want to just tell him, I wanted to make it special. Another thing, I worked nights, so I wasn't going to be home until late. I had to do something to keep the suspense going until I got home. I didn't want him going to bed before I could tell him! This is what I did: I purchased a onesie that said, "Dad thinks I'm rad", wrapped it up with the positive pregnancy test and attached a note saying not to open it until I got home. I left it on the kitchen counter and skipped off to work, just counting down until my work day was done. 

I got home that night and he opened it. He was also in shock - it was like the gift didn't make sense. "Why are you giving me this onesie? Ooooh..." Once it sunk in, we hugged and smiled. It was a day of disbelief, wonder and joy. 

Here are some photos from that day, one year ago:

And here we are, one year later...

Happy Valentine's Day to Joe and Blake, the two best Valentines a girl could ask for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment